Pages

Sunday 5 September 2010

Flowers, Tomatos and Plums







The weekend weather has been sunny but there is a chill in the air at night and the early mornings have that 'September' feeling.








This weekend I have been pottering in the house and garden.










Just look at these wonderful colours in my garden.







If you have a glut of tomato's try this:
Cut the large tomato's in half and put in a roasting dish.
cut a whole garlic bulb in half across ways (leave the skin on) add some olive oil, black pepper and torn up basil leaves.
Roast in a hot over for about 30mins till the tomato's and garlic cloves are soft (cover with a bit of foil if the tomato's go too brown before the garlic is soft, note I used a very large garlic bulb!)
When done, allow to cool a little then gently squeeze the cloves from the garlic bulb, discard the skins from the dish.
Then you can........
Put it all in a blender and make a soup, add red peppers to the roasting mix for a tomato and red pepper soup.
or
Lightly mash with a fork and put in on a lightly toasted slice of
good crusty bread, add a soft cheese first if you wish Yummmm.
or
Use it as a sauce for pasta.
Plums:
Take 10 large plums, cut in half, pop into a roasting dish cut side up.
Take 4 tablespoons of runny honey and mix it 3 tablespoons of lemon juice and poor over the plums.
Roast for 15 mins in a hot oven ( till they are baked but holding the shape). Lovely served with good vanilla ice-cream or warm custard.
I have a busy week ahead at work so this evening I will be sitting in my favourite reading chair (see side bar pictures) browsing the cook books and planning the weeks menus, quick and easy dishes needed this week.
I am thinking it may be time to tell you about my work, but that is for another post, the chair awaits my company.
Blessings for the week ahead.
Shelly.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shelly,
    I'm sorry if I followed your blog without commenting!I just saw it and then didn't have time to post a comment, but it was good to wait for this post :) it's wonderful!
    I love your blog, and your posts are all so lighthearted, happy and cheerful!
    I love the way you cooked tomatoes, I have tried them in a similar way when I was in Scotland and now that I read your recipe I will surely try it!Wonderful flowers, autumn is here!

    Love,
    Annalisa

    ReplyDelete